Saturday, June 15, 2013

Reasons Why I Love Superman

10. The new movie was so amazing! And  it made me remember the days when all I knew about superheroes came from the episodes of Smallville I managed to watch on TV. Good times. I've grown so much!
9. Henry Cavill's face.
8. Superman has a pretty amazing moral compass. And he always tries to do what is right.
7. Superman is a journalist, which is cool because I've thought about being a journalist and can therefore relate to his more mundane problems.
6. The glasses.
5. Henry Cavill's smile.
4. He can fly. Which is totally cool because my dream of soaring through the air, singing "A Whole New World" could totally come true if I was Lois Lane.
3. Clark Kent is a country boy who loves America. And that's just cool.
2. Abs of steel. (See what I did there?!)
And the Number One reason why I love Superman?!
1. He saved me from the clutches of a ruthless villain!! 

OK, that's a little bit more dramatic than what really happened, but seriously, Superman saved me. It all began with an event at my Comic Book store which involved a Superman Cosplay guy who was so in character that no one knows his real name. Even the guys who work at the store don't know his real name. Anyway, because I was excited about the upcoming movie I took a picture on my phone with Superman. It was all very exciting.  Flash forward to this morning, when I awoke to a buzzing phone that alerted me to a new friend request on Facebook. It was a guy I knew in high school. Since I remembered not hating him in any way, I thought why not. And I added him. Immediately after adding him he sent me a message asking me how I was. Which I thought was a little odd but whatever. (The old me would have assumed the worst of his motives simply because he was a man but I've turned over a new leaf and therefore sent a message back.) Maybe he just wanted to catch up. After all, it's been like four years since high school and sometimes it is nice to see what's going on with other people.

For the next ten or fifteen minutes we talked on Facebook, idle chit-chat about what we'd been up to the last few years, but something still felt a little weird. Still, I was trying to think the best in people. And men. But then he asked for my number. Which was weirder. But hey, he said he never gets on Facebook and so far our conversation had been fine. Then he immediately started texting me. And then it was only about five more texts before he asked for a picture. Which just proves that you never trust a man. I've learned this before but usually try to give them a chance to screw up. It just makes me feel good to know I'm right and can be justifiably angry at people. Anyway, even though I was angry I sent him a picture. But not of awkwardness. Of me, standing next to Superman in all his glorious, caped awesomeness. Needless to say, that was not what this guy was expecting. Anyway, he never texted back and then he proceeded to unfriend me. Which really only means that I won. But this brings me back to my point about Superman. I believe that it was his amazing goodness that saved me today. Also, Clark Kent would totally never text Lois Lane and be like, "What up? Send me a pic." And if Clark won't do it, neither should any other man. He would totally court her and impress her with his glasses and amazing smile and then when they were totally in love (admittedly this wouldn't take long because have you seen his smile?!) he would make his move. In a totally respectful way that Lois wouldn't feel was demeaning in any way possible. She would actually think - probably - that he took too long to make his move simply because he's just such a good guy that he doesn't want to take any kind of advantage of her.

So, from now on, whenever some random dude wants a picture, he'll get one of me with Superman by my side. And if Superman's majestic all over wholesomeness doesn't shame him into leaving me alone, I'll send him a picture of my foot. And hopefully he's seen enough That 70's Show to know exactly what I'm implying. Anyway, I've learned a few things. Like my life was a whole lot easier when I just assumed the worst in men and let the few good ones surprise me with their respect. Actually, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go back to that. Also, I've learned that Superman is probably the best superhero on the planet. His mere presence saves people. And last, I've learned that what I want in a man. He must have Clark Kent's glasses, Henry Cavill's smile, Superman's amazing moral compass and his ability to fly. It's a pretty tall order. And I might have to take that last one off the list. But I'll never be able to settle for an ordinary human man now.

Anyway, that's my life. Everyone should really watch Man of Steel. It was fantastic!!
This is me with Superman. Pretty epic.Also, notice my amazing Han Solo shirt and the beautiful array of comic books.

No comments:

Post a Comment